Roof Inspections & Leak Diagnostics
If you have been through more than a minor storm, it is important to contact a contractor as soon as possible if you think your roof could have storm damage. LOCAL contractors will be overwhlemed with inspection & repair calls. the longer you wait to call in a repair, the slimmer the chances are of getting a LOCAL contractor to do the work. Do you want to use an out of area service and rely on their good word? Roof Doctor, Inc. is not only local, but has been in your community since 1987.
Roof Doctor, Inc. recommends at least an annual inspection of your roof. Scroll down this page to see what factors are included in the process of your roof inspection. Also, keep up with our Roof Repair Blog to educate yourself and keep in touch with what you should be doing or preaparing for during the year to protect your investment and keep your repair costs at a minimum!
The basic indicators of a deteriorating composition roof are cupping, buckling, loose, missing, or cracking shingles, and loss of granules. Tar/patching marks or sections of different colored shingles indicate past repairs. There is not really a time frame on a composition roof in order to determine when repairs may be needed due to the many factors that can cause damage.
There are many different types of flat roof products that all indicate their own life expectancy. Many times flat roofs can be resealed on seams and around roof penetrations. Roof coatings for flat roofs can be applies to certain products to greatly add to the life of the existing roof.
You can tell a lot about a roof by how it looks from the ground. If the shingles are in a straight row, this will show a good build and frame structure. However, almost every issue we have addressed daily for over 26 years regarding roof leaks, are not apparent in the large areas of the roof. Faulty installation of where shingles adjoin the flashings and roof penetrations is 90% of our repair business. Sad, but ABSOLUTELY true, leaks to the interior of your home are most often the fault of your installer or prior repair company.
2) Identifying problems that can lead to major defects. Defective roof mounted structures, stopped up gutters, defective or damaged windows, excessive heat/moister build in attic (caused by inadequate ventilation which can lead to premature roof failure), and termite damage.
3) All types of chimney and skylight flashings are inspected for integrity and weakness.
5) Flat roofs are checked for debris as well as condition, i.e., splits and penetrations at junctures. Condition of the existing decking and ponding water areas are reviewed.
8) All types of adjacent walls are checked for the condition of the siding. Types of siding include stucco, brick, wood shingled, bat and board, flat board siding, vinyl and steel. Step flashing, counter flashing, and head wall flashing are all reviewed.
10) We inspect for accumulating debris on the roof, as this is quite common around chimneys, skylights, valleys, and pan areas. Moisture is held in debris, causing back up and decay and further can produce leaks.
Take it from us You Want To Get A Thorough Roof Inspection from a company that knows exactly what to look for - Roof Doctor, Inc. is that company!
There are a number of clear signs that you may need to repair or replace your roof. The most obvious is water damage or water leakage that appears in the ceilings of rooms. Rain can be forced, or driven, by wind under the shingles and through damaged felt and decking below the shingles. Shingles that are damaged or missing can allow this water penetration.
Regularly inspecting and maintaining your roof over the years can help catch any minor problems and stop them before they become more advanced and cause major roof damage. In many cases, it may be a less expensive repair than more advanced damage requires. You should inspect your roof, or have Roof Doctor, Inc. inspect it for you regularly to keep it protecting your investment and family for many years to come!